Bringing our Purpose to life
We help our Clients achieve lifetime financial security and live healthier lives. Our sustainability approach aligns to our business priorities and brings our Purpose to life.
Our sustainability plan
Sustainability is a priority for Sun Life in Canada and around the world. It’s essential to our business success. We want to contribute to a world that’s healthier, more financially resilient, environmentally secure, and economically prosperous.
Our sustainability plan focuses on our best opportunities to have a positive impact on society while creating competitive advantage for our business. This includes:
- increasing financial security,
- fostering healthier lives, and
- advancing sustainable investing.
These efforts build from our foundation as a trusted and responsible business.
Advancing our sustainability plan
We provide our Clients and employees with innovative products and services to help increase their lifetime financial security.
We’re committed to improving financial resiliency in society by advocating for and expanding access to products and services to close insurance coverage gaps and build long-term wealth.
- Delivered 18.6 million digital nudges through Sun Life’s online assistant Ella, which drove an additional $360 million towards Clients’ workplace savings.
- 95,000 positive decisions taken by Clients towards financial security as a result of a nudge from Ella.
- Delivered educational activities in Canada throughout Financial Literacy Month. Our Group Retirement Services businesses published various resources including newsletters for Clients with tips on planning and saving for retirement.
- Advocated for the federal government to expand retirement income security options to help Canadians obtain a more secure, predictable retirement income as they age. The government included these measures in Budget 2019.
- Hosted financial wellness webinars and delivered wellness content through a digital platform to help Clients in Canada manage financial, physical and mental health.
- Enhanced our sales and planning tools for Sun Life advisors worldwide. These enhancements help advisors better identify and meet Clients’ insurance and savings needs.
- Council for Clean Capitalism
- United Nations Environment Programme Finance Initiative (UNEP FI)
- Sustainable Waterloo Region
Awards and recognition
- 2020 Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World
- 2020 Bloomberg Gender-Equality Index
- 2019 Best 50 Corporate Citizens in Canada
- Harvard Business Review 2019 List of the World’s Top Chief Executives
- 2019 Dow Jones Sustainability Index (North America)
- 2019 FTSE4Good Index
- 2019 Globe and Mail - Board Games