We’re building sustainable, healthier communities for life
And we’re looking for new and innovative ways to do more.
Our sustainability strategy
Sun Life's focus on advancing sustainability — centred around a vision of building sustainable, healthier communities for life — is a key strategy for the company and is essential to our overall business success.
We define sustainability as taking accountability for our social, environmental, economic and governance impacts, risks and opportunities, in ways that help to ensure our long-term ability to deliver value to our Clients, employees, shareholders and communities.
While we have had sustainability-related programs in place for many years, in 2014 our Board of Directors approved a formal, company-wide sustainability strategy. The strategy focuses on 4 principles within which we continue to deepen our commitment and strengthen our practices: organizational resilience, environmental responsibility, community wellness and governance and risk management. Our priority topics, informed by stakeholder feedback, are mapped to these 4 principles.
Advancing sustainability across 4 key principles
- Organizational resilience
- Environmental responsibility
- Community wellness
- Governance and risk management
We cultivate an organization that is competitive, forward-thinking, resilient and sustainable for the long term, so we can continue to meet the needs of our Clients, who are at the centre of all we do.
- Expanded access to mental health care by launching a virtual cognitive behavioural therapy pilot program to Canadian Group Benefit Clients. Offered in partnership with the University of Regina, this online therapy option provides an innovative way to reach our plan members and offer flexible solutions, especially to those living in remote areas where access to care may be limited.
- Reduced escalations to our internal Ombudsman Office in Canada by 16% compared to 2016.
- Launched another Canadian life insurance industry first with the introduction of Ella, a digital coach that helps Clients fully utilize their benefits and pension plans.
- Teamed up with numerous external stakeholders to develop the Canadian Assessment Framework to help determine whether big- data activities in the private sector are legal, fair and just —– a global first.
- Over 6,600 Canadian employees received a financial incentive they can use to pay for eligible wellness products and activities, such as fitness memberships, health-related services, and child- and elder-care expenses – for any family member.
- Launched the Sun Life Pride Network in Canada, with a mission to promote an inclusive culture for LGBTQ employees and Clients, by being a visible and accessible resource regarding LGBTQ interests.
- Global 100 Most Sustainable Corporations in the World
- Corporate Knights Best 50 Corporate Citizens in Canada
- Dow Jones Sustainability Indices
- FTSE4Good Index
- Globe and Mail - Board Games
- Reader’s Digest Trusted Brand™ Award
- Imagine Canada Caring Company
- United Way Toronto & York Region’s 2017 Spirit Award for Best Employee Campaign in the Finance Sector & United Way Centraide Canada’s Thanks a Million Award